Thursday, December 11, 2008

Charles =

The tagline for this blog is, probably obvious to some, a riff on the line from the '67 TV series The Prisoner: "I am not a number. I am a free man." It seemed like a funny thing to do in response to my odd decision to use a number as the title of my site, and if I can get all dreadfully serious for a moment (which would be a welcome change here, as my posts of late have been so hallmark card cheerful), it also carried the meaning, for me, of my perpetual struggle with self-imprisonment. I like to mix the silly with the serious. I like things with multiple meanings.

Turns out there's another, which was completely unintentional. Yeah. I recently looked up what my name, Charles, actually means: It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is "free man".

Well, hah.

On Friday night, I went out with my friend Kurt, to a bar, the same bar I'd had such a miserable time at on Monday night. He hides his coat behind the front door, which I think is goofy and very Kurt-ish, but I go to the coat check to dispose of mine. My claim number? 324.

7 comments:

  1. "cheerful" ?...ok if you say so

    Bob L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Charlie I was just teasing.

    Bob L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fucked up, especially since I named _my_ blog what I did because I found out that "Noel" comes from Old Frankish and means "new sun." I always thought it meant Christmas. Christmas is lame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to find out the true meanings of our names after all this time. Take that Alara! Her name means... Alara. No fun surprises there.

    Do you know what our last name means? "Renowned spearman." Use that as a pickup line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yeah, "new sun" is so much better than stupid Christmas. Or some gay british playwright. It's kinda fitting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Charlie,

    After all this time, I've only just stumbled on to your blog.

    I'm just plain old Peter, and if you go by the bible, then I'm a rock. So why do I feel more like a pebble or some grit?

    ReplyDelete