Sunday, August 31, 2008

Requiem Salvatore

It was mid-June, 1998, a lightly drizzly night, and Peter was out sweeping the street, and I was out with him. It wasn't uncommon for us to be outside that late, when the streets of South Philadelphia would be calm and quiet. Days earlier we had lost our roommate's cat Muffkin, so when I heard the soft, plaintive cries of a cat somewhere nearby, I went looking for their source, believing I might be the hero and I might have found the missing cat. What I found instead surprised me: under a car, a strange-looking creature. "Is it a cat?" I wasn't even sure. We lured it out with Muffkin's food and it immediately started following me. The colors of its face were unlike anything I had seen, split right down the middle, which I woud later find out was the mark of a tortoiseshell cat, and I would also later find out that tortoiseshell cats were always female. She was so dirty that when I pet her, my hand came back black, but she seemed friendly, and her dirtiness suggested she'd been on the streets for a while. I wasn't sure what to do, so we decided that we would walk inside for a minute, and leave the door ajar, and if she followed us in, we would keep her. And she did, and so we did.

A crazy cracked-out neighbor passed, and in his crazy way, grabbed the mail out of another neighbor's box and scattered it on the street. Peter picked up the loose mail, and he name on the envelopes was Louis DiSalvatore, and so we named this strange new creature Salvatore.

The next day she disappeared in the house, was gone the whole day, and when she reappeared, she had completely cleaned herself. She would run to the window when she heard my voice on the street and bound down the stairs to greet me when I arrived home. She liked Peter just fine but she loved me. She had a litter of kittens a few months later, and Peter's brother accidentally let her out before we were able to get her fixed, so she got pregnant again. She was so attached to me that she jumped on my lap to let me know that her water was breaking, and let me carry her up to the cardboard box we'd prepared for her and her soon-to-arrive kittens, and I stayed with her for the entire delivery as I had the first time, but this time she needed my help pushing out the first of the babies. He was coming out feet first and she was having trouble getting him out because his feet were getting caught, so I had to help her push him out by grabbing the kittens paws and pulling as gently as I could, in time to her pushes. The baby came out healthy, and five more followed.

When our house was filled with cats, Sal was not known for her personality. She was always a bit touchy about where she would allow you to touch her, and was the only cat I had who would swat or nip. But when she was away from other cats, she'd revert to the sweet kitten I'd fallen in love with years earlier.

She survived getting hit by a car in front of our house, right in front of Peter's eyes, and I still remember him screaming for me from the street, inconsolable. Like a cat, she had gone and hid after the impact, but we had found her, and she'd let us bring her inside. She'd been fine.

She was the third of our cats to come live with me in Brooklyn, after Olive and Pea, but shortly after she arrived I had to move to San Francisco and I left them all there. temporarily. Pea returned to Philadelphia, and Olive came here to SF, but Sal stayed in Brooklyn with my friend Wayne. I always imagined we would live together again one day, that I would come back for her and bring her here. I saw her earlier this month when I was visiting Wayne, and she clearly remembered me, and it was so good to see her. She's a reminder of a simpler time in my life, before I'd quite formed, before I'd become whatever it is that I am now, before I'd gone through my problems with Peter and eventually moved away to a raft of new problems here. She knew me before I knew myself, and I had rescued her from the street, and we loved one another without wondering why.

This morning Wayne texted me to tell me that Sal was gone. I know she is just a cat, and not even the nicest cat I've ever known, but I'm taking this one kind of hard. I couldn't rescue you this time, my little girl, but I hope you're happy wherever you are, and I hope you still remember me, because I remember you.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Charlie,

    I think I understand just a little bit about how you felt when you got that text from Wayne this morning because some sweet guy, a real cat lover just softened me up with a warm and fuzzy love story complete with a rescue, a difficult birth, a near death escape, two sets of kittens and remembrances of simpler happier times. Then wham! I never saw the 2X4 coming. Now I'm wiping tears.

    I loved it and I am sorry for your loss.

    Bob L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad and poignant story, Charlie. I am very sorry for your loss.

    Isn't it funny how we become so attached to our furry little companions? They make us so happy for so many years, and it's always a blow when they leave us. I know I was a wreck when my first dog died 18 years ago.

    It sounds like you have many memories of her and I hope they are a comfort. I'm sure little Sal is at peace and I'm also sure she wouldn't have forgotten you.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. This one's been rough. Since Peter and I had so many cats (and later, a dog), there's been a lot of loss over the years, but Sal was my first (as an adult) and so her loss is hitting me especially hard. I saw her on the first of the month and Wayne told me she'd been having trouble breathing, but none of us expected her to go so quickly.

    The odd addendum to this story is that around the time I was getting this news, Peter was out somewhere, and he saw the crazy mail-scattering guy who had inadvertently contributed to Salvatore's naming. (a less odd, but somewhat amusing anecdote: Peter later bought Lou DiSalvatore's house.)

    Anyway, Peter took the news pretty well, all things considered. Peter's boyfriend's cat died a few weeks ago, and then Sal's son Pie was in the hospital for a few days, so it's been a big month for cat drama.

    But it's going to take me a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always surprising to hear how people are surprised at the impact of the loss of a pet (god, just TYPING that doesn't sound grammatically correct! *LOL*) But where does this surprise come from (the latter, not the former!)

    We share more with our pets, more often, than we ever share with close friends/partners, as the pets are always there to console us during bad and upsetting times (whether they really want to be or not), and they are always around. It's not like a pet is going to hurt you, or disappoint you by going out for a walk one night and then send you a text say, "I've found a new owner, so I'm moving in!"

    We are more tactile with our pets than we are with friends and partners (and before anyone even DARES to think in that direction: DON'T!! *LOL*) and if we fight with our pets and they scratch us, bite us or nip us, it's not like we give them the silent treatment for a week, waiting for them to admit their error. At most, it takes an hour (unless it's a dog bite, and then it can take a little longer to be forgiving).

    ReplyDelete