Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The yard or me?

This is me at the side of my parents' house, circa 1986:



I have a vague memory of this picture being taken but what's funny is I don't remember who took it. I know it was taken with my Canon Snappy, quite possibly by Noel, who would not even have been 10 at the time. Yes, I think it was Noel.

This morning I took a picture from a similar vantage point, without me in it:



What's changed more, the yard or me? You can see the destruction of the woods that were behind the house, which I referenced in an earlier post, and you can see how the shrubs haven't gotten any significant attention in a long time, and if you really knew what you were looking for, you would see how much the pin oak that borders the left side of both images has declined.

But some things haven't changed. I'm still wandering in the yard, taking pictures of leaves and stuff. The house stands as a quiet figure in both pictures, quiet, not hinting at all the white noise going on inside.

I go home tonight, back to San Francisco, and once I'm no longer here in Beacon, no longer in contact with the world that I spun out of, I'll probably stop posting on this recurring theme. Probably. Well, possibly.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Charlie,

    Great head of hair!
    The house has weathered well and you are standing the test of time in your own way.

    I for one would like to read more of your posts.

    Bob L.

    ReplyDelete